The Confirmation Journey
Are you an 8th-12th grade student ready to grow deeper in your faith? Come join us on the Confirmation Journey! Registration is now open for the 2015-16 session and will close on Sept. 14th. Click on "register here" on the side of this page to get started.
Confirmation is the time when a personal decision is made to confirm the vows of our baptism. At The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, this happens as a group of students join together to explore who Christ is, what it means to know Him through a life-long relationship, and how we follow Him as United Methodists.
The Confirmation Ceremony is their first public affirmation of the faith of the church as being their own faith. The Confirmand is taking responsibility for living as a member of the body of Christ and for fulfilling God's purposes. This includes the building of relationships with peers and adults who will support them in their faith. We strongly believe this is done through small group relationships long after Confirmation is over.
Confirmation is not simply a “rite of passage.” Nor, just a class to complete. It is a step in a life-long journey of pursuing the heights depths and widths of God’s love and making a vow to live in relationship with Him for the rest of our life!
Here are a couple of things confirmands have said about their Confirmation experience: "I could speak my mind" "I learned more than I ever thought I would" "They explained more than I ever thought they would" "I now ask myself more, What would Jesus want me to do?"
There is a fee of $85.00 however scholarships are available upon request.
Small groups are gender and grade specific. All students are put into small groups with 2-3 adult mentors. No friend requests made for groups. However, we will make all effort to put in groups according to feeder high school area. Please let Teri Chalker know in advance if you have any group concerns or needs.
Mentors are needed to Journey alongside these confirmands. You and your co-mentor will lead a small group of students through the provided curriculum. Training and all supplies provided. We are not looking for people with all the answers but someone who will help these young people find their own.
We are excited to offer one session of Confirmation for the 2015-16 School year, on Sundays from 10:30am-12:15pm in room C050.
Dates and Requirements:
- Attend Mandatory Parent Student Kick-off Sept. 27th 1-3pm in Student Center (note different time and location)
- Attend all weekly sessions Sundays 10:30-12:15pm starting Oct. 4th in room C050 (no meetings Nov. 29th, Dec. 13th- Jan. 3rd and Feb. 14th)-You can not miss more than 4 weekly sessions and still be confirmed.
- Participate in at least one other weekly activity at Resurrection to get connected.
- Serve on Mission with your small group.
- Be an Acolyte or Cross Bearer for worship services 4 times (you only need to sign up for 4 times by your confirmation date not have completed acolyting by your confirmation date. That's how we get acolytes all year long) You can register here.
- Attend Mandatory retreat Feb. 26th Friday night 5:30-11:00pm at church
- Attend Ceremony on Feb. 28th Sunday 2pm in main sanctuary of Bldg. B
- Students need to be baptized. If they have not been baptized there is an information meeting before confirmation kick-off on Sept. 27th at 12:30pm in Wesley Chapel for parents and students. A special confirmation baptism ceremony is Nov. 15th at 12:30pm in Wesley chapel.
- Optional confirmation Christmas Social will take place on Dec. 6th 12:30-2:30pm in the Student Center
- March-May small groups will be encouraged to continue to meet 2 times monthly at convenient time for the group in order to continue on their Journey of Faith.
If you have questions about the one session for the 2015-2016 School Year please click here for the Q and A on the rezlife Blog.
Questions? contact Teri.firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-544-0287.